|圖片頁面 • 討論頁面 • 推論頁面|
The listening station is a small structure operated by two Portuguese-speaking technicians, Mathias and Henrik. It is located in a cold, snowy place; a blizzard is seen outside and mountains are observed nearby. The station is in direct contact with Penelope Widmore.
Description 编辑The apparent purpose of the station is to detect any electromagnetic signatures emanating from the Earth. The technicians missed a prior anomaly. After the discharge occurred, a console in the station displayed the numeric/text:
In the narrative of the show, the scene in the listening station was the first evidence indicating the world is "still out there". This was also the first time that perspective broke off the Island in real-time.
Though it is not explicitly stated, the appearance of the station and the climate around it strongly suggests that it is in Antarctica.
Penny's search 编辑
As a result of detecting the discharge, the Island was made visible to the listening station and they subsequently alerted Penelope Widmore. Naomi told the survivors that Penny hired her company to conduct a search and rescue mission for Desmond and that Penny gave them a set of coordinates in the middle of the ocean (presumably provided by the listening station). Naomi said she never met Penny herself and that the mission was seen by the freighter team as a fool's errand. (3x19) However, it is later revealed that the freighter is Charles Widmore's and Naomi was hired by Matthew Abaddon. Minkowski, the ship's communications officer, said that he was ordered not to answer incoming calls from Penny. After Desmond got aboard the freighter, Penny told him that she knew about the Island and had been researching and looking for him for three years.
- There is a snippet of sitar music playing at the start of the scene - the song being played is "Make Your Own Kind of Music" by Mama Cass Elliot.
- One of the technicians (Mathias) looks like Jack, but is in fact a different actor. Mathias is played by Len Cordova.
- Their speech is Portuguese from Brazil. Although their accents do not exactly match any Portuguese accent (neither the native nor any colonial one), the sentence construction and some expressions they use are without any doubt Brazilian. The subtitles omitted a few key phrases spoken by the two men.
- In a later Kristin Dos Santos E-Online interview, Jack Bender talked about the choice of Portuguese as a language for the technicians as somewhat arbitrary. Originally, Russian was planned for the script, but they just happened to find two actors that spoke Portuguese.
- There is a Brazilian research station in Antarctica at 62°08'S 58°40'W operating since 1984. Among other activities, the station does research on geomagnetic observations.
- The yellow telephone that is in the station has no buttons (apparently for receiving calls or making a call to one number).
- The number 7418880 is the product of the Numbers (4 x 8 x 15 x 16 x 23 x 42).
- Mikhail claimed he was recruited while working at a listening post in Siberia.
- Leonard Simms and Sam Toomey served together at a listening post monitoring long wave transmission in the Pacific. Sam heard a voice repeating the Numbers. (1x18)
- The computer is running a Windows 98 theme.
Terminal output 编辑
Delivery Subsystem 550 requested action taken:
1bbybby 77111790 ++++systems normal++++ 76555#722#0
zzzzzz330 7711345 ++++systems normal++++ QX10022005#311
Delivery Subsystem 550 Requested action taken:
- 如對以下的未解決謎題有任何推論，請到 去討論
- Where is the listening station?
- How did Penelope know to be looking for an electromagnetic anomaly?